Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Valentine's Day Sock Hop {Freebie}

Last year, for Valentine's Day, Holly came up with the idea of a Valentine's Day Sock Hop.  It was so much fun!  We broke out the scarves and poodle skirts and stepped back in time to the 50s!  I made a FREE packet for you all if you want to have a sock hop this year.  It has posters for each station and certificates.  Click the pics below to download them for FREE at my TPT store








We had four different stations.  You will definitely need some parent volunteers to help you with this.

The first was the Soda Shop.  We served heart shaped pizza and made floats.  They could choose from root beer or coke floats.  You could do a "How To Make a Float" writing activity before the sock hop.  Lots of kids have never had a float before, amazingly!



We also had a bubble gum blowing contest.  You will definitely need to be there to teach them how to blow a bubble.  So many of ours didn't  know how. 


There was a matchbox car race.  We had them bring in their own matchbox cars, but we had some extras.  We have ramps in our hallways, so we had the races there.



And finally, we had the Sock Hop station!  We just let them dance their hearts out to 50s music.



Here they are decorating their Valentine bags:



So go to my TPT store if you want to download the FREE posters and certificates for your very own sock hop.  {Sorry my pictures aren't very good.  I need a new camera!} 

I also just uploaded a Super -er, -ir, and -ur Word Work Activity packet if you are working on bossy r.




Have a great weekend! 

11 comments:

  1. Adorable idea. Thanks for sharing your Sock Hop celebration.


    Yearn to Learn Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing! I just picked up your /er, ir, ur/ activities. We are doing it next week in our reading series and it will work pERfectly!
    Thanks,
    Andi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! Too cute! Thanks for the freebies!

    Kim
    Growing Up Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the sock hop freebie! :) When I taught third grade, we studied the 1950s and had a sock hop at the end of the unit and loved it. What a great idea for Valentine's Day!
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHH! What an awesome idea! I'm so excited :) Thanks for the fab freebie, you rock! :) I'm so glad I found your blog today, your idea has made my day! Have a happy rest of your weekend :)

    Lisa :) (new follower)
    Made In The Shade In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like soooooooo much fun!!! I love it!

    Come by and check out my 500 follower giveaway :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh how cute! I love that Vday idea! (your blog is too cute..I'm your newest follower! Come check out my blog if you ever need some math ideas or activities :)
    ~Sarah
    funintitlemath.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. where are your backgrounds and borders from, and how do you make them?! they're awesome, and i'd love to try and make them!!

    thanks!
    LOVE the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Question, in your rotations do you have the whole class move to the stations or do you divide them up?

    ReplyDelete